Friday, April 29, 2011

Initial Reactions to the Draft

WOW!
Prior to moving to South Carolina I did not watch a moment of college football… I was exclusively an NFL girl and thought that that was enough.  But now I realize that I lacked a crucial element in my football knowledge… THE DRAFT!
With limited time to prepare and learn about the incoming draft players, I did what research I could with the teams I know about.  See, that’s the trick if you are new to sports:  start by picking a team.  Either pick one based on your geography, join the bandwagon of a team (whoever is the strongest over time), or use any criteria that suits your personality (i.e.  I like the Reds because I have a crush on one of their pitchers). 
Armed with this limited knowledge I went out to Wild Wings to hang out with friends and watch the draft.  As predicted the first few picks were pretty anticlimactic.  But I knew that would change, because you have to keep in mind that this draft has a unique element… it is the first draft that is taking place BEFORE free agency.  So although it seems that the lockout is over and the free agency will eventually be open, you have no guarantees that when you go for different players you will be able to get them.  There are too many teams in need of a QB and not enough viable free agents to go around.  Desperate teams were going to have to take desperate measures.
“It’s going to get interesting after pick 5.” I said…. And I was right.
And then the madness ensued: out of nowhere, Atlanta makes a major move, takes the 6th pick from the Browns and goes for Julio Jones.  Suddenly, all the draft knowledge from the “experts” was thrown to the wind.  Teams made decisions no one saw coming.  Every time a pick came out, you would hear ensuing boos or frantic cheers… sometimes people remained speechless, mouths wide-open. Any Vikings fans out there… you’ve got a lot to “Ponder...” Terrible and overused joke I know but the decision to draft Christian Ponder 12th overall left many Vikings fans baffled.
As for my team, the New England Patriots, I have nothing to say because as a fan I live by a particular motto: “On draft day, in Bill Belichick I trust.” 

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to take your word for it...Did the Steelers get anyone good?

    ReplyDelete