Monday, April 25, 2011

Dear Jim Tressell....

Really?  You really didn't think you would get caught in a lie? 

A disclaimer... I know very little about college football, in fact, this is the first year I ever even followed it.  That being said, I doubt my lack of college football knowledge in any way precludes me from passing judgement in this matter. 

Do I think that there is rampant cheating going on throughout the NCAA: of course, I am not naive.  Do players get "paid" in ways that violate NCAA rules: yes.  Do I think the NCAA needs to completely revamp its system?  DUH....

But is Jim Tressell so old that he he thinks when he hits delete on an email it just goes away?

What I find so upsetting about this subject isn't so much that Jim Tressell felt he could lie and is above the rules... (he appears to  be invincible in the eyes of the Ohio State) I'm mad that the consequences of his decision to lie and cover up the truth ultimately trickle down to the players, most of which follow the rules, play hard and hope that the prestige of the University and it's stats will help them in the future. 

Jim Tressell I say SHAME ON YOU! 

Can't we just play some honest football? OK probably not...  But now what?  Do we go back and take away those wins that included ineligible players?  Is firing Tressell the answer?  Because if we do, it sends a clear message, but if we don't: what punishment is enough and who are we really punishing?

Sincerely,
Valentina

2 comments:

  1. It seems integrity has been lacking in college ball and professional ball for awhile now? So, Valentina, are you bringing it back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish... before we can do that, the NCAA needs to get real with its expectation of these players. The universities make BANK thanks to some of the players, it's crazy for the NCAA to keep the players from getting their market value.

    As for the integrity of the game... who knows what's going to happen with integrity in sports, especially when you add the whole issue of steriods into the mix! But that's a blog for another time.

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete