Monday, May 9, 2011

The Laker's PDA (pathetic displays of aggravation)

There is little that can be said about the performance of the LA Lakers against the Mavericks in Game 4 of the series.  Did fans actually think that they would bounce back and win it all?  I agree that there’s a first time for everything, I just think now was not that time.  But NBA fans all around expected more than a 4 game sweep and we certainly could not have been prepared for the on-court antics of the Lakers.
Yes I admit I tend to be more sensitive than most. I gasp when a player goes down hard or avert my eyes when they replay moments of major injuries (I refuse to watch Rondo dislocate his elbow).  Perhaps the only time I have been rendered speechless is when I witness a major crash in a NASCAR race where it’s a miracle that the driver walks out of the car of his own accord. 
I’m not going to say that all professional athletes should keep their emotions in check.  The Lakers were losing and losing badly.  It is expected that play inside the paint may have become more aggressive and there would be more pushing around than usual.  I’ll even go so far as to say a foul such as the one committed by Odom against Nowitsky could be expected.  These are grown men playing in a highly competitive environment.  That amount of testosterone and anger is apt to boil over at some point. 
 But few (if any) excuses can be made of the behavior of Andrew Bynum.  When I saw J.J. Barea hit the ground in the manner he did, I clasped my hand over my mouth in shock. (I really suggest you watch the recaps to see what I mean).  Bynum is lucky that Barea didn’t suffer a major injury.  And then, as a child throwing a tantrum, Bynum rips off his jersey in the middle of the court (not that I’m complaining) and storms off.  To add to the humiliation, Bynum leveled the smallest guy on the court (Bynum= 7ft tall… Barea is under 6)… I was half expecting him to pound his chest and emit some random grunts… Taking out the little guy… so easy a caveman can do it.  It will be interesting to see what punishment the league deems appropriate.
What makes the end of the story even more depressing it that supposedly this game represents Phil Jackson’s last.  I saw supposedly because it seems that certain coaches just can’t retire… coaching is in their blood.  But as of now, Jackson is said to be retiring.  Though I am not suggesting this in any way will taint Jackson’s overall career… he more NBA titles than any other coach in the league, 5 with the Lakers, it is a game that will be talked about for some time… and I think (and hope) that it means some major changes for the franchise.  Because this team, divided against itself, has proven it cannot stand.   

No comments:

Post a Comment